COMMON QUESTIONS FOR DANCE NEWBIES
1) WHY SHOULD I TAKE LESSONS FOR MY WEDDING?
Learning to dance for your wedding is one of the few expenses that's actually an investment. The cake, the DJ, the flowers are all those things that are finished and done at the end of your wedding day. Learning how to dance together is forever. By taking a little time for yourselves during the wedding preparation you'll be able to clear your mind and focus on each other.
2) HOW ARE LESSONS AT THE DANCE LOFT SF DIFFERENT FROM OTHER STUDIOS?
As a ballroom and Latin dance professional with two decades of experience, I have taught literally hundreds of couples for that magical first moment as husband and wife. I understand the many pressures involved in preparing for your wedding day, so I am committed to crafting a routine that you will be comfortable with and enjoy dancing together. My specially trained staff and I work with you personally both as individuals and as a couple.
3) WHAT IS A GOOD DANCE FOR OUR A FIRST DANCE?
The style of dance you learn is usually determined by what song you choose. If you would like to include a specific style or movement, we are always happy to honor your requests. Here are some helpful tips:
- If you want to do something timeless, elegant, and classic - go for a beautiful waltz.
- If you're thinking of something a little bit more romantic and sexy - go for a rumba.
- If you want to shock and amaze them - go for a passionate tango.
- If you want to do something that's classy and sassy - go for a foxtrot.
- If you're interested in doing something upbeat and exciting - go for a swing , salsa or hip-hop.
4) WE’VE CHOSEN A SONG FOR OUR FIRST DANCE, BUT WE DON’T KNOW HOW TO DANCE TO IT…CAN YOU HELP?
Absolutely yes! Bring in your music and we'll figure it out on the spot. We can start working on your dance right away.
5) HOW MANY PRIVATE LESSONS DO YOU SUGGEST?
Everyone has a different need, schedule, budget and vision of how you want the first dance to be, and we are excited to work with them all! Like anything, different people learn at different paces. Furthermore, some couples want to learn just basic partner dancing skills and others prefer a full choreographed routine.
We personalize your lessons to meet your specific goals and expectations. If you need to squeeze in that last minute lesson to avoid feeling awkward on the dance floor, then 1-3 lessons will work. If time and budget allows, we recommend the five lesson package which allows us to craft a dance with a few fun moves & twirls as well as a beginning & end. But if you would like something more choreographed where you feel completely comfortable , you should count on at least 10 lessons.
Our goal is to not only surprise and impress your guests but also to create a fun memory for years to come!
6) WE ALREADY KNOW HOW TO DANCE. CAN YOU HELP US WITH FINE TUNING?
We are happy to create a combination of moves that would allow your current knowledge to flow even better together. We can add new moves as well to the beginning and end. We aim to keep things fun and easy. The most important part is that you are enjoying each other and each moment.
7) WHEN SHOULD WE START TAKING LESSONS?
As early as possible! We do suggest starting 3 to 6 months in advance so that you can be confident as your wedding day approaches.
8) WE HAVE A WEDDING IN TWO WEEKS, CAN YOU HELP?
Yes. We are happy to work on basic survival tips to prevent any embarrassment or self-consciousness. We are here for you!
9) DO WE NEED TO BRING MUSIC?
If you have already chosen a song, please bring it on your mobile device to your first lesson. If you haven’t yet decided, we can help you select the song that is right for you. This does however take time during your first lesson. Choosing your first dance song is a very personal thing, so take the time to think about a piece of music that you both love or choose a song that means something to the both of you.
10) MY FIANCE SAYS HE HAS TWO LEFT FEET AND DOESN’T WANT TO EMBARRASS HIMSELF…HOW CAN I CONVINCE HIM TO TRY?
If you can walk, ride a bike or play a sport…then you can dance. My detail orientated, down-to-earth approach works for even the most rhythmically impaired. I help both the bride and the groom hear the music and translate that music into patterns and movements that are easy to lead and follow
Ultimately my wedding first dance program is designed to acquaint you with the principles of leading and following in a way that allows you to move together with more ease and grace. Our personalized choreography accommodates any ability. Even the shyest dancer can develop improved confidence and profound enjoyment after just a few sessions.
11) DO I HAVE TO BOOK ALL FIVE LESSON?
No. You are more than welcome to book just one lesson and go from there. It is important to us that you are both comfortable with our teachers & our venue.
12) DO YOU TEACH HIP-HOP OR MODERN FIRST DANCES, OR DO YOU STICK WITH TRADITIONAL STYLES?
Although all our teachers are trained in traditional ballroom Latin and swing dances, we pride ourselves in specializing in modern, cool and upbeat first dances that are unique to you and your wedding.
13) WHAT DO I WEAR TO MY LESSON?
Please wear comfortable clothing and avoid loose or hanging fabric and strings. On your last lesson, we invite you to consider a dress rehearsal which may include a suit jacket for the men and a long constrictive dress with heels for the lady.
14) DO WE NEED SPECIAL DANCE SHOES?
It is very helpful to wear the shoes you will be wearing on your wedding day to your lesson. Shoes with leather soles rather then rubber are advised .
15) HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO LEARN TO DANCE?
Honestly, different people learn at different speeds. The time it takes to coordinate your body with music and your partner differs from person to person as well couple to couple. The more lessons you take and the more you practice, the better you will become. But the most important thing to remember is to enjoy yourself - breathe, smile, look at each other, listen to the music and move in harmony with the skills that you have at any given moment. The rest will simply fall into place.
16) HOW FAR APART SHOULD WE SCHEDULE OUR LESSONS?
Once a week is the most optimum.
17) WHAT ARE THE PROS & CONS FOR CHOOSING A 1 HOUR LESSON VS. 2 HOUR LESSONS?
Stepping out of your mind and into your body to dance takes warming up to. With the hustle and bustle of work and traffic, it’s hard to arrive to a dance lesson fully ready to dance in your body. The two hour session really allows for each person to arrive into their body stress free. It provides more time to relax, learn, have fun, connect and practice to the music over and over - which is the key to success!
18) IS IT POSSIBLE TO LEARN SOME OTHER DANCE STYLES THAT WE CAN USE DURING THE RECEPTION?
Absolutely. Our teachers are well versed in multiple dance styles and you’ll find we can get you moving in all kinds of ways.
19) WHAT IF WE FORGET ALL OF OUR MOVES ON OUR WEDDING DAY?
No worries, the only ones who will know what you’re forgetting is you;) As long as you two are looking at each other and not worrying too much, the results of your lessons will come through. Whether you remember this move or that, or forget it all completely, you’ll find yourselves more connected, comfortable in your bodies and having fun anyway:)
20) WE HAVE NEVER DANCED TOGETHER, WE AREN’T VERY CONFIDENT AND WE BOTH HAVE TWO LEFT FEET…CAN YOU HELP US?
Absolutely! Our teachers are highly experienced in working with couples who have absolutely no dance experience. We will happily guide you through every step until you feel completely comfortable.
21) DO YOU ACCOMMODATE GAY COUPLES?
Absolutely! For smooth and successful partner dancing, it helps to decide on who’s leading and who’s following, However, if you prefer a less traditional approach that mixes leading and following, that works too!
22) WHAT IF ONE OF US HAS AN INJURY?
Dancing can be physically demanding, but if we know about your injury, we are happy to create moves that are slow, gentle, easy & smooth. If you have injuries or conditions that need consideration, please let us know at the start of your lesson.
23) I AM CONFUSED BY THE ONLINE SYSTEM. I DON’T UNDERSTAND THE DROP DOWN MENUS. I DON’T KNOW IF I WANT TO BOOK ONE LESSON OR A PACKAGE. HOW DO I NAVIGATE?
The online booking system can be tricky to navigate before meeting us in person & understanding all the packages that we offer. The easiest way is to book just one lesson & book the remainder lessons after your first lesson.
24) IF WE CANCEL GIVING LESS THAN 48 HOURS NOTICE, WILL WE GET CHARGED?
Yes. Your time has been reserved for you which does not allow us to book other couples. It is very difficult for us to refill an opening in less than 48 hours, therefor we must charge you for not showing. However, you may cancel or reschedule your booking in advance of 48 hours without any charge.
25) ARe dance lessons refundable?
No. Purchased dance lessons are non-refundable. If you purchase a discounted 5 or 10 lesson package, your lessons must be used within 1 year. If for some reason you are unable to use your remaining lessons because of special circumstances, then they can be gifted to a family member or friend.
26) CAN WE TAKE LESSONS FROM DIFFERENT DANCE LOFT TEACHER IF IT’S BETTER FOR OUR SCHEDULE?
Absolutely! Both Nick & I are highly qualified at evaluating each couple’s needs and providing the tools, tips and tricks necessary to bring any couple to the next level. Whether you are a beginner or an advanced dancer, male or female, we both have the gift to bring you to a heightened place of ease, grace & joy on the dance floor.
**Our goal is not only for you to surprise and impress your guests, but to create a fun memory for years to come!